Search For Jobs Near Birmingham Al 35205 Usa
Job Detail for Registered Nurse (4 Main, 5 Main, 6B, Safe Harbor)
Job Location: Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Birmingham, AL, 35205, USA
Networking and Premium Apply
We're sorry, it looks like this job is expired.
### Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
#### 10 vacancies in the following location:
* Birmingham, AL
##### Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Friday 10/21/2016 (4 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (66 day(s) away)
## Job Overview
Vacancy Identification Number: 1815988
**Applicants who previously applied under Vacancy ID Number OB-16-JSt-1797981-BU must reapply to receive further consideration.**
**First Cutoff. **October 28, 2016. Applications received by the first cutoff will be referred first. Applications of qualified applicants received after the first cutoff date will be referred to the selecting official Monday of each week until the closing date of announcement (or until filled).
**OUR MISSION:**To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
**Please read the entire announcement before beginning the application process to ensure you submit all the required documents and information. **
**Note:**If you apply for the position electronically (On-Line), you do not need to apply manually using the OPM Form 1203-FX (OPM-Occupational Questionnaire). If you complete and fax the OPM Form 1203-FX to the designated fax number listed in this vacancy announcement it will override your previous application you have already submitted electronically (On-Line). Therefore, please apply for this position using one method only (i.e., apply electronically (On-Line) or apply manually using the OPM form 1203-FX. If you apply using both the electronic (On-Line) and manual (OPM Form 1203-FX) methods it will result in a duplicate processing error and you may lose consideration for this position.
The Birmingham Veterans Affairs Medical Center (BVAMC) is an integral part of the medical community that provides acute, tertiary, medical, and surgical care to Veterans of Alabama. BVAMC provides care to a veteran population of 420,000 in Alabama and treats approximately 57,000 unique veterans annually. The medical center serves as a referral center for this area with 138 operating beds with care provided in almost all medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties. Birmingham Alabama is located in the heart of the Southeastern United States and is a progressive center for medical research, banking, music, technology, art, engineering, and higher education.
As a VA professional nurse, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of the VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veteran Affairs go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
**VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.**
The Inpatient Registered Nurse (RN) positions are located in Patient Care Service at the Birmingham VA Medical Center. The incumbent is under the supervision of a Nurse Manager or other immediate supervisor of assigned unit. RNs selected for and assigned to 4 Main, 5 Main, 6B, and Safe Harbor will manage patients on Telemetry. RN(s) selected for and assigned to 5 Main (Medical/Oncology) will obtain chemotherapy certification. RN(s) selected for and assigned to Safe Harbor will manage patients receiving palliative care and end of life care. Selections will be determined by Supervisor / Manager and will be based upon the needs of Patient Care Service. The RN positions potentially require flexibility in schedule and assignments, as this is a 24/7 hospital.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Responsible and accountable for all elements of the nursing process when providing and/or supervising direct patient care.
* Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates care based on age-specific components.
* Assumes responsibility for the coordination of care focused on patient transition through the continuum of patient care, patient and family education, patient self-management after discharge, and supporting factors that impact customer satisfaction.
* Administers medications and treatment procedures per established policies and guidelines.
* Considers all characteristics of the individual, including sex and sex role identification, age and life stage, state of health, race and culture, socio-economic status, values and previous experience with similar events, in order to assist each patient to identify and meet basic health needs and improve his/her health status to the individual's maximum.
* Demonstrates knowledge of VA policies, procedures and clinical protocols.
* Influences outcomes by collaborating with members of the interdisciplinary team. Core elements of performance includes knowledge and active participation in unit / program level quality improvement processes, initiatives, and customer service.
* Takes initiative in developing and evaluating unit level and/or disease specific to standards of care, policies, procedures and nursing programs that guide nursing practice and/or measure performance.
* Completes all required education in prescribed timelines, including Talent Management, recertification and continuing education.
* Responsible for ensuring his/her actions contribute to a mode of continued accreditation readiness regarding Joint Commission (TJC), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), VA surveyors, Laboratory College of American Pathologists (CAP), and other survey teams.
* Consistently protects printed and electronic files containing sensitive data in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Action of 1974 and other applicable laws, federal regulations, statues and policy, and VHA policy.
**Work Schedule:** Day, Evening and Night Tours available. Selectee's specific tour will be determined by Supervisor/Manager upon hire, and will be based on the needs of the unit. May be required to work weekends, holidays, and during the week, but must be able to change schedule to accommodate the needs of the service.
**Functional Statement/#:** Registered Nurse, 000000
If you **are** a permanent current VA employee, you should apply under Vacancy ID Number OB-17-JSt-1816013-BU from 10/21/2016 to 12/30/2016
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
* Demonstrated ability to be dependable, self-directed and flexible
### Travel Required
* Not Required
### Relocation Authorized
## Job Requirements
### Key Requirements
* Must pass pre-employment examination.
* Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
* Background and/or Security Investigation required.
* Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
* U.S. citizenship. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA policy.
* Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
* Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies a the time the program was completed by the applicant: 1) The National Accreditation League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC), an accrediting arm of the National League for Nursing located at 61 Broadway, 33rd Floor, New York, New York 10006 or call (800) 669-1656 extension 153. Additional information may be obtained from the NLNAC webs site or 2) The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), an accrediting arm of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) is located at One Dupont Circle N.W., Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036 or call (202) 463-6930. Additional information may be obtained from the CCNE web site.
The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
**G****rade Determinations:** The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
* Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
* Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; **OR** an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; **OR** a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
* Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; **OR** an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; **OR** a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; **OR** a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
* Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; **OR** ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; **OR** a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; **OR** a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
* Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; **OR** a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected.
Experience as a RN will be evaluated if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice**, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry.** Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
* Practice, Ethics and Resources Utilization
* Performance, Education/Career Development
* Collaboration, Collegiality
* Quality of Care, Research
**Reference: ******VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.** **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps building critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
**Note:** Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
**Physical Requirements:**Satisfactory physical examination as determined by the Employee Health Unit upon appointment only. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019 (http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/HRLibrary/Dir-Policy.htm).
The population of male and female veterans served ranges from the adult, age 18, to the elderly adult, age 65 and over. The VA Medical Center is a major interdisciplinary teaching facility, serving medical, surgical, and neurological inpatients and outpatients. There is a large outpatient psychiatric population, with admissions for medical co-morbidities. This position requires visual acuity (glasses permitted), keen hearing (hearing aid permitted), clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking (up to 8 hours), standing (up to 8 hours), stooping, sitting, bending (up to 8 hours), pulling, and pushing. Light lifting under 15 lbs. Light carrying 15-44 lbs. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. Use of rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.
**VA facilities must make reasonable accommodation for the physical or mental limitations of an applicant or employee who is a qualified person with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the department or agency.**
### Security Clearance
## Additional Information
### What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
### Other Information
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement.
*Salary Range:* $49,904.00 to $93,873.00 / Per Year
*Series & Grade:* VN-0610-00/00
*Supervisory Status:* No
*Who May Apply:* U.S. Citizens and Federal employees of other Agencies
*Control Number:* 454223400
*Job Announcement Number:* OB-17-JSt-1815988-BU