Search For Jobs Near Vicksburg Ms 39181 Usa
Job Detail for Civil Engineer (Recent Graduate)
Job Location: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg, MS, 39181, USA
Networking and Premium Apply
We're sorry, it looks like this job is expired.
### U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
#### Few vacancies in the following location:
* Vicksburg, MS
##### Work Schedule is Full Time - Recent Graduates
Opened Friday 1/27/2017 (0 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 9/27/2017 (243 day(s) away)
## Job Overview
**Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army**.
**About the Position:**
Click here for more information on Pathways program participants.
The Department of the Army Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Department of Army intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Successful applicants are placed in a dynamic, developmental program with the potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government.
After Program completion, Department of the Army Recent Graduates MAY be converted to a permanent position.
To be eligible for conversion to a permanent or term position, Recent Graduates must:
* Successfully completed at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
* Demonstrate successful job performance.
* Meet the Office of Personnel Management's qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted
To learn more, please visit: http://www.opm.gov/HiringReform/Pathways/program/graduates/.
**Recent Graduates Program Eligibles**
Who may apply:
Recent Graduate eligibles include:
* Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
* Current students who will graduate with a qualifying bachelors, masters, professional, or doctorate degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within 8 months of the date of application. Please note that a transcript and enrollment verification must be uploaded with the application to receive consideration. Failure to upload the required transcript and enrollment verification will result in your application being rated as incomplete.
* Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have as much as six years after degree completion to apply.
The initial cut-off for referral consideration is February 27, 2017; applications received by this date will have first opportunity for review. Applications received after this date will be given consideration on a regular basis between March 27, 2017 and September 27, 2017, as per the below cutoff order.
March 27, 2017
April 27, 2017
May 29, 2017
June 27, 2017
July 27, 2017
August 28, 2017
September 27, 2017
This is a developmental position with the potential to be promoted to the GS-0810-11. You will perform developmental assignments under closer than normal supervision. Assignments will become progressively more difficult until the next performance level is reached.
Full performance level duties of this position includes the following:
* Coordinate numerous phases of design work with professional engineers and managers.
* Develop technical specification requirements for assigned projects and edits preliminary drafts of specifications prior to submission.
* Defines and develops the scope of work for architect-engineer (A-E) contracts.
### Travel Required
* Not Required
### Relocation Authorized
## Job Requirements
### Key Requirements
* This position will require a background investigation.
* Recent Graduates must sign a participant agreement with the agency.
* Moving expenses are not authorized.
* This position is an FE (acquisition) coded position.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
**GS-05 Grade,**In order to qualify for the GS-05, you will need to meet the basic requirement for the Engineering series. The basic requirement for the Engineering Series is listed under the Education section below.
**GS-07 Grade, Specialized experience:** To Qualify applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade/level ([GS-05). Specialized experience is defined as: 1) using engineering formulas using calculus and mathematical principles 2) collecting factual and scientific data to support findings, and/or 3) completing engineering assignments based on oral instructions provided.
Have at least one full academic year of graduate education in an appropriate field. One full academic year is equal to 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours unless otherwise determined by the university
Have a combination of education and experience as described in A and B above, which when combined, equals 100% of the qualification requirements described above. For example, you have 9 semester hours of related graduate courses (50% of the education requirement) and 6 months of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 level (50% of the experience requirement). When combined, your total qualifying education and experience is equivalent to 100% of the qualification requirements (i.e. six months of graduate level education and six months of professional experience.)
Have the experience as described in A AND the education as described in B
Have superior academic achievement in a professional engineering curriculum. To qualify for superior academic achievement, you must have one of the following: (1) A standing in the upper third of your college class or major subdivision (e.g. school of engineering) at the time you apply. (2) A grade point average of B (2.95 on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent for all courses completed; (a) at the time of application; or (b) during the last 2 years of your undergraduate curriculum. (3) (a) B+ (3.5 on a 4.0 scale) or its equivalent for all courses completed in a qualifying major field of study, either: (a) at the time of application; or (b) during the last 2 years of your undergraduate curriculum. (4) Election to membership in one of the national honorary scholastic societies (other than freshman societies) that meets the requirements of the Association of College Honor Society.
**GS-09 Grade, Specialized experience:** To Qualify applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade/level ([GS-07). Specialized experience is defined as: 1) Experience reviewing data for the correction of designs. 2) Experience obtaining field data to determine feasible layout of projects. and/or 3) Experience assisting with the development of the scope of work for projects.
Have a master's or equivalent degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree with major course of study in engineering.
Have a combination of education and experience as described in (a) and (b) above, but less than one year; I have more than one year but less than two years of education or described in B. I have computed the percentage of the requirements that I meet, and the total is at least 100%. (To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities)in the following areas:
* Knowledge of Basic Engineering practices
* Skill with Design Concepts and Capabilities
* Knowledge of Civil Design
* Skill in effective Oral and Written Communication
In accordance with Defense Acquisition Workforce Act (DAWIA) requirements, this position requires the incumbent to obtain an Certification in the acquisition career field of Contracting within 24 months of assignment and comply with DAWIA requirements throughout the duration of employment in order to maintain certification. (Failure to comply with these requirements may result in termination from this position.)
This announcement may be used to fill like vacancies for six months after the closing date.
To qualify, you must meet specific educational requirements which apply to this position in the Federal Government. You must possess one of the following: (Note: You must attach transcripts to support educational claims.)
1. A degree in professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. NOTE: THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY.
2. A combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by the following: Professional registration -- Current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico. Absent other means of qualifying under this standard, those applicants who achieved such registration by means other than written test (e.g., State grandfather or eminence provisions) are eligible only for positions that are within or closely related to the specialty field of their registration. For example, an applicant who attains registration through a State Board's eminence provision as a manufacturing engineer typically would be rated eligible only for manufacturing engineering positions.
3. A combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by following: Written Test -- Evidence of having successfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
4. A combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by following: Specified academic courses -- Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering that included the courses specified in the basic requirements. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum as described in paragraph #1 above.
5. A combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by following: Related curriculum -- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, e.g., physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the applicant has had at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. Please include this information in your resume.
**Other Requirements:**Click herefor more information.
Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
One year trial/probationary period may be required.
Direct Deposit of pay is required.
Recent Graduates must sign a Participant Agreement with the Agency.
### Security Clearance
## Additional Information
### What To Expect Next
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
**The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.** In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
### Other Information
Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
Nepotism: Under the provisions of 5 USC 3110, an individual may not be appointed into a position if the position is under the supervisory chain of command of a relative.
This position is Non-Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act
This position is a Career Program 18 position.
Management may select at the GS-05, 07 or 09 grade level.
Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
This position is an Acquisition position.
*Salary Range:* $37,113.00 to $78,270.00 / Per Year
*Series & Grade:* GS-0810-05/09
*Promotion Potential:* 11
*Supervisory Status:* No
*Who May Apply:* All Recent Graduates eligibles
*Control Number:* 463393000
*Job Announcement Number:* SWGR171234561905237P